Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Week 5

Favorite Photo Story: Crack: The Next Generation

This photo story is about babies that are born with Crack Baby Syndrome. It starts out with pictures of newborns and how nurses deal with the babies who have withdrawals. It also has pictures of kids when they are a little bit older and how they are affected by having this syndrome.

The reason this story is compelling to me is first the title grabs my attention and makes me want to learn more about the story itself. The next reason this got my attention is because I might be working with some of these kids after I graduate school and get into my career. The challenges that the photographer might of had while taking these pictures is getting the okay from parents to photograph their kids. Another challenge that they might of had is getting kids from birth to toddlers that are affected by this issue of being born with withdrawals from crack because it says that some babies can grow up to be okay when they grow up.

The overall theme of this work is all the pictures are in greyscale. It pulls all the pictures together and makes them flow together easier because the photographer has pictures of newborns to kids that I would say are in preschool and/or kindergarten. The photographer has a beginning (newborns), middle (how nurses help the babies), and end (preschool kids); I think with the greyscale it helps the story go along because you aren't jumping form one picture to the next because a color is popping out at you.

As for what the photographer need to do beyond taking the pictures is one getting information on what actually is Crack Baby Syndrome so they knew what to photograph. Another thing would be that they needed to get a relationship with the parents of these babies and the hospital or school that kids were in. Things that I can learn from this story and apply to when I do my photo story is building a relationship with the people I will be taking pictures of because it will give me a better insight to my story, be able to get quality/genuine photos, and be able to present my photos in a way that other people can get insight to the story and maybe learn something from it.

Your Own Photo Story Idea:

Outline Topic One: Marijuana

For this story idea I could take photos of people who are 21 smoking, buying, and the aftermath of smoking. I could also take pictures of different people at dispensaries. The what would be marijuana which I could take pictures of people, plants, and maybe up-close pictures of different tools used to smoke or marijuana itself. I would take pictures of people in their home or where ever they smoke or partake in their marijuana activities. I would also take these pictures whenever people are free.

The things I would have to do to get prepared for this shoot would be get ahold of people who are 21. I think I should have about maybe 5 different people if not more. I would also need to make sure they are 21 so that there is no legal issues that I may run into. If I want to take pictures at dispensaries I would need to get ahold of them and see if they have any restrictions to taking pictures. I have a friend that does work at one so I can get ahold of her to see if she can talk to her boss or give me their number.

Outline Topic Two: Sports
For this story idea I was thinking I could take pictures of different ages playing sports. I could take pictures of kids doing AYSO soccer, or PYAC basketball. I could also take pictures of any of the OSU sports that are going on now like soccer, football, or even volleyball. Another sports thing I could take pictures of if any intramural sports going on at OSU or G3 gym out by Comcast in Corvallis. The who would be the athletes that are taking part of the sport or even the bystanders that are watching the  sports. The when would be whenever the sports are going on and where would be either OSU, G3, any place where AYSO is taking place such as Adam's Elementary school.

The things I would need to do to prepare for this would be finding out schedules of which sports and where they are taking place. I would also need to get some pictures of the athletes and some of the watchers. I am also gonna have to take a lot of pictures because sports are going to be harder to take pictures of because it is fast pace.

Photos of the Week:


Instructor at the Visitor Center in Lincoln City is helping Ralph Cullen from Coos Bay shape his glass ball on the open day of Finders Keepers Glass Float Hunt in Lincoln City on October 22.

Ralph Cullen is a bus driver from Coos Bay making his own glass ball on the opening weekend of Finders Keepers in Lincoln City. His wife who is not pictured her was watching and taking pictures to remember this fun experience on their weekend getaway on October 22.

Bystanders watch as people make their own glass objects such as balls or bowls at the Visitor Center in Lincoln City on October 22 for the opening weekend of Finders Keepers. Many people not only watched but took pictures of family members or strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment