Friday, November 18, 2016

Week 8

Technology/Innovation: 
The technology that changed photojournalism if the flash I think. It has changed greatly over time but has been helpful. The reason I say it is helpful is because back in the day when flash first was around the lighting in general wasn't good so having flash helped capture pictures. Not only could it help capture pictures but it also help get pictures in different settings and places. You didn't have to be outside on a sunny day to get a good picture. Also people don't just go out during the day they also go out at night and with the flash you could take pictures of these events. Another reason flash evolution is good is because it isn't a safety hazard to the photographers. In the book it gives examples of things that have happened to people who use to use flash pans. It talks about people catching on fire to actually loosing a hand. The next step after flash pans was flashbulbs which took away the hazardous part but it then left us with the problem of having to change the bulb after every shot which could cause the photographer to miss the "perfect" photo. With any technology it gets better over time and the flash was the same way. It turned to kind of what we have now with an electronic flash but at the time they first came out they were huge and weighted a ton but the grew smaller and ended up being able to synchronize with the shutter.

The photographer that stands out the most to me from the reading would be Jimmy Hare. He was really the first one to even become a photojournalist. He went all over to capture news worthy events and even put his life in danger at certain times. He basically showed future photographers what it meant to be a photojournalist/photographer. Even years later in his career people still talked about how his work was so good. I feel that it helped him that he was a little ahead of the game. He was working with lighter weight equipment which made it easier for him to get the pictures he wanted. Not only did he pave the way for future photographers but he also captured exciting moments in history such as the Spanish-American War, World War I, and the Wright brothers flying. Below is a picture of Jimmy Hare and an example of his work. The example is a picture of the Spanish-American War. Both pictures came out of the book for this class Photojournalism The Profesionals' Approach 6th Edition.
Displaying FullSizeRender.jpgDisplaying FullSizeRender.jpg

Photo Story: 
For my photo story I chose to do the topic of weed. As for how I am going to shoot this I have gotten a hold of people that I know that smoke but who are 21 years of age or older so I don't get in any sort of trouble and they don't either. For the other parts of it I will take pictures of them when it is works for them because they are volunteering their time for my benefit. I will take the pictures in the area that they normally smoke in which will most likely be their home.
For the actual pictures I am having trouble with overall shots because most people smoke by themselves so my overall might just be them. I am trying to get a hold of a dispensary and talking to them about possibly taking pictures in their store but I know they have certain regulations so I am waiting to hear back from them on that. My medium shots are going to be the person smoking or getting ready to smoke. Close-up shots are the easiest I feel because I can get just their hands with marijuana or their utensils they use to smoke. I can also get a close up of their face too.

Week 8 Photos Sports:
Elena Castilla (sophomore) in the middle of a calypso during The Shining Star's dance team practice at their early morning Veteran's day practice. She has been part of the Philomath High School's dance team for two years now and is part of the varsity team. 

Hollyn Eves (sophomore), Rhiannon Gudge (junior), Giorgia Mazzuchin (junior), and Natasha Leman (freshman) practicing their kick-line during their pom routine during practice on Veteran's day. Giorgia Mazzuchin is also a foreign exchange student from Italy who is loving being part of the team and doesn't want to think about leaving yet. 
The Philomath Shining Stars are practicing their pom routine in their gym in preparation for their upcoming competition at West Albany. The whole team dances in the pom routine. They also will be doing their contemporary routine at West Albany too but only the varsity girls will be dancing that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment